Friday, July 22, 2011

Stages in Learning

It seems many of you want a direct plan to follow, so let me condense my previous post into 3 stages.

1) Learning the alphabet
When you first start learning this language, hands down, the first thing you need to do is learn Hiragana and Katakana (in that order).  Many sites offer ways to learn this, but they all suggest one thing in common.  Write each one 50 times with correct stroke order. You cannot start learning the language until you know the alphabet. Of course kanji is considered part of their alphabet, but you can ignore that in this early stage.

2)Learning the grammar
After you get your kana down, you need to learn some grammar.  I recommend the Genki I and II books.  It doesn't really matter where you learn your grammar, but you have to learn it somewhere.  I would recommend a full book over a small internet guide because thick books will most likely offer a more comprehensive lesson.  Simply put, the bigger your book is, the more grammar you will learn.  Dont stop at 1 book, look through various ones.  Skim through other books to verify you learned all the grammar you can

3) Self study
Don't think you can follow guides forever.  Eventually you must learn to fly on your own.  Start at the easy stuff aimed at kids, then over the course of months, work up to young adult works.  The hardest part of learning is when you first start your self study.  Being thrown into the world of Japanese will confuse the fuck out of you at first, but you have to stick with it.  You wont understand everything you see, in fact, you will more than likely NOT understand most of the content you come across.

I first started with playing Pokemon (The GBA game) because 1) I knew the content already 2) Its aimed at kids.  Immediately I was hit with a bunch of words I didn't know.  This WILL happen to you.  Write down the entire text in a blank notepad and look up each word individually.  Try to piece what you can and guess the rest.  If the word seems common, attempt to memorize it.  Add it to your anki deck.

After pokemon, I tried reading School Rumble (manga) because I liked the anime series.  Having already seen the anime, I knew what would happen already and it helped me piece the information together.  I recommend that you read things that you already know first.

You will stay in this phase for a very long time, simply because learning another language is a never ending process.  Every now and then I learn new English words.  You may think "If it never ends, fuck, I don't want to learn Japanese anymore".  Don't think that.  When I was a little kid I was still learning English words, but I could safely say I knew English.  I could watch television shows and read books, even though there were many high level words and topics I didn't understand.  So even though I say learning is a never ending process, eventually you will reach a stage where reading/listening/speaking Japanese become 2nd nature.  Around this point most people say they "know" the language.  This is your goal in training.

For those of you in stage 3, please post what you are doing for self study as a comment.

12 comments:

  1. I finished watching namasensei's tutorials on Hiragana so I'm practicing them now quite suprised how quickly I learned with this guy, but which of his videos do I go to next? the katakana ones? or is there something inbetween I need to see?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He moves onto katakana eventually. Stick with the playlist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh also, his hand writing is half ass. Make sure that your handwriting doesn't end up like his.

    http://www.umich.edu/~umichjlp/kana.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shit, I've just been going from Hiragana lesson one through to lesson eight, I didn't think the playlist was in order, they seemed to be all kinds of different topics, I'll go through them again.

    I've been using that website already but what with being left-handed and having shitty handwriting anyway I'm already at the best I can do

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is late in, but to anyone who sees this recently:

      His playlist is a tad off. There are some obvious things, like how hiragana 8 comes AFTER the grammar 8 where he uses only hiragana, or the big review where he goes over unfamiliar words. Gotta watch for that.

      Delete
    2. Haha. It got me too, however many years ago that was.

      Delete
  5. Hey, same guy from before here, so I know all of the Hiragana now and can name nearly all of them within 3 seconds (which I know isn't fast enough) thing is, namasensei's grammar tutorials are insightful and amusing but I think I'd learn more about it with the Genki books and I can't really think of a good way to study grammar, should I continue practising Hiragana and follow the videos or should I learn Katakana now, revise both and then read Genki?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Learn both hiragana and katakana, then revise them until you can get each one in 1 second.

    If you want to leave nama sensei for a textbook, feel free to do so. I mainly used him for motivational purposes. Start with Genki I and II, and go from chapter to chapter learning everything you can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finished watching namasensei's tutorials on Hiragana so I'm practicing them now quite suprised how quickly I learned with this guy, but which of his videos do I go to next? the katakana ones? or is there something inbetween I need to see?
    tư vấn du học nhật bản,
    tuyển sinh du học nhật bản, du học nhật bản giá rẻ,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! He should have some other videos uploaded too. Basically here is the order I watched them.

    Hiragana -> Katakana -> Some vocabulary -> Some kanji -> Then I 'graduated' and learned from other sources after exhausting all his content.


    Just an update to anyone reading this -- I am currently living in Japan! Ive been here for about 7 months total and I have a Japanese GF, who is really cute :) I would show pictures, but I prefer to be anonymous.

    Just curious, how did you hear about this? Are people still posting that link around on 4chan?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I forgot to mention, his videos are out of order, so you gotta look through all his uploaded stuff. Again, just as a reminder, Nama sensei won't teach you everything, but hes a great motivator that will get you started.

    ReplyDelete
  10. damn this is crazy that I found this, I got started with your post a year ago on the /int/ wiki and I just now found your blogspot by accident, thanks for the guide bro. I admit I dropped Genki pretty early (started following the DJT guide) but your shit is what first put the fire in me to really learn (I had watched some of those youtube channels like japanpod101 before but they don't get you anywhere) thanks so much man!

    ReplyDelete