Sunday, July 24, 2011

What to practice

I've been getting a lot of people asking stuff along the lines of "Is ____ a good way to practice?" so let me just say this.  You get better at what you practice.   After some thinking, I've boiled it down into 4 parts.

Input
--Reading
--Listening

 Output
--Writing (Typing, handwriting)
--Speaking


I broke these up into 2x2, input and output because I think that both 'inputs' tie together and both 'outputs' tie together.  Obviously practicing reading helps you read, but I think that it also helps you in listening.  However, I don't think these benefits carry over to the other side.  I don't think reading helps you speak, I don't think listening helps you write.

Just keep in mind that when you study, you get better at what you study.  This applies for things I didnt say, as well.  If you practice kanji recognition with Anki, then you will get better at kanji recognition.  When you practice, be sure you are doing multiple things.  One thing won't cut it for everything.  Evaluate what you want out of Japanese then go for it.

めざして、がんばろ

1 comment: